Seeing the inclination of people in India towards the digitalization post-demonetization, the search engine giant Google has also stepped in to take some benefit out of it. Google is all geared up to launch a Unified Payments Interface (UPI) app called Tez in India which will be under the Make in India initiative. The media invites for the launch has already been sent out for the event to be held in Delhi on September 18. The newly launched app will make the users able to pay for movie tickets, utility bills, and make other transactions online. Leaving behind rivals such as such as Amazon and Facebook, Google has topped in providing such services for digital payments.
The invite reads, “As we continue to make strides in ensuring that our products continue to serve the needs of everyone, Google invites you to a press conference to share details on the launch of a new product developed grounds up for India.” Furthermore, in the light of the event, Google writes, “Send money home to your family, split a dinner bill with friends, or pay the neighbourhood chaiwala. Make all payments big or small, directly from your bank account with Tez, Google’s new digital payment app for India.”
So what are the high points of this app? Here we are to discuss some of the main points of the app.
- Tez supports 55 Indian banks including popular ones like the ICICI Bank, State Bank of India and HDFC Bank.
- The app is available in English as well as in seven other Indian regional languages including Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Marathi, Tamil and Telugu.
- The app will support UPI, which for unawares is a payments protocol built by government-backed organisation NPCI.
- Google Tez comes with “Cash mode” option, which transmits “audio” using Google’s QR technology to identify the person nearby you, and lets you pay or receive money when you’re able to find that user.
- The app will be available both for Android and iOS users.